Saturday, November 15, 2014

Gone Girl


I'm not usually one for reading thrillers. I'd read about a handful that had been way too predictable for me and had left me feeling nothing but disappointment, so I've tried avoiding that genre altogether. However, as soon as I saw the first trailer for the Gone Girl movie, I became intrigued. And the more that people who've actually read the book had ended up loving it, the more I became intrigued. I'm so glad that my friend (a book blogger whose blog you can check out HERE) managed to convince me, because this book BLEW. MY. MIND.

I have so much I want to say about Gone Girl, but it's going to be difficult remaining spoiler-free, so I'll have to cut this one short. But I'll do it anyway for those who haven't read the book. Because I want you to read this book! And while at it, stay away from everything that has anything to do with the movie until you're done. Or at least try.


I don't know how Gillian Flynn did it, but the character development she's created for Amy Dunne is superb. She is one hell of a character. Her character alone deserves an award. Being able to immerse yourself in her psyche is really something that should be taken advantage of because although I enjoyed the movie version immensely, you don't get to see/hear much of her view on things.

This was the first thriller that really left me feeling compelled to finish all the way to the end. I was thoroughly impressed with the plot. It was incredibly well thought out. A definite page-turner that'll keep you hooked.



Another thing that surprised me was the humor out of all the morbidity. Both of the main characters say some pretty disturbing things that I probably shouldn't have laughed at, but I couldn't help it. Ultimate definition of dark humor. And Gillian Flynn knows dark well, which I've come to learn after checking out her other books.

Please, please, please try this book out if you still haven't done so. You won't regret it. 


- IM